[llvm-dev] Finding Size of X86 instruction in MachineFunctionPass

John Criswell via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 10 14:06:08 PDT 2018

On 7/10/18 1:48 PM, Cranmer, Joshua via llvm-dev wrote:
> The actual size of even a MC instruction will change during relaxation--we don't choose between 8-bit jumps and wider jumps until relaxation. You can get the actual encoding of an MCInst via MCCodeEmitter, but if you expect relaxation to occur, or particularly if you're testing before register allocation, the size could only be an estimate and shouldn't be trusted for exact size.

Thanks.  I should be doing this as the last pass before emission to the
object file, so it is post register allocation.

Will relaxation cause an instruction to become larger or only smaller?
If the instruction ends up being smaller, that is fine. If it can get
larger, that could be a problem.

I'll take a look at MCCodeEmitter.

Thanks,

John Criswell