[llvm-dev] [lldb-dev] Trying out lld to link windows binaries (using msvc as a compiler)

Leonardo Santagada via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 28 13:51:09 PST 2018

Ok I went for kind of middle ground solution, I patch in the obj files, but
as adding a new section didn't seem to work, I add a "shadow" section, by
editing the pointer to line number and the virtual size on the .debug$T
section. Although technically broken, both link.exe and lld-link.exe don't
seem to mind the alterations and as the shadow .debug$H is not really a
section anymore (its just some bytes at the end of the file) it doesn't
change anything else that does matter. With that I could do my first test
with a subset of our code base, and the results are not good. I found one
of our sources that break the ghash computation, I will get more info on
this and post a proper bug report, but I guess its type information that is
generated only by msvc. The other more alarming problem is that linking is
way slower with the ghahes... my guess is that we have a bunch of pdb files
for some third party libraries and calculating those ghashes takes more
time than actual linking of this small part of the source (it links in 4s
in both link.exe and lld-link.exe without ghashes).

--

Leonardo Santagada