[llvm-dev] [lldb-dev] Trying out lld to link windows binaries (using msvc as a compiler)

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 19 12:44:41 PST 2018

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:29 PM Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No I didn't, I used cl.exe from the visual studio toolchain. What I'm
> proposing is a tool for processing .obj files in COFF format, reading them
> and generating the GHASH part.
>
> To make our build faster we use hundreds of unity build files (.cpp's with
> a lot of other .cpp's in them aka munch files) but still have a lot of
> single .cpp's as well (in total something like 3.4k .obj files).
>
> ps: sorry for sending to the wrong list, I was reading about llvm mailing
> lists and jumped when I saw what I thought was a lld exclusive list.

A tool like this would be useful, yes.  We've talked about it internally as
well and agreed it would be useful, we just haven't prioritized it.  If
you're interested in submitting a patch along those lines though, I think
it would be a good addition.

I'm not sure what the best place for it would be.  llvm-readobj and
llvm-objdump seem like obvious choices, but they are intended to be
read-only, so perhaps they wouldn't be a good fit.

llvm-pdbutil is kind of a hodgepodge of everything else related to PDBs and
symbols, so I wouldn't be opposed to making a new subcommand there called
"ghash" or something that could process an object file and output a new
object file with a .debug$H section.

A third option would be to make a new tool for it.

I don't htink it would be that hard to write.  If you're interested in
trying to make a patch for this, I can offer some guidance on where to look
in the code.  Otherwise it's something that we'll probably get to, I'm just
not sure when.