[llvm-dev] RFC: Import of Integer Set Library into LLVM source tree

Tobias Grosser via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 19 06:51:18 PST 2018

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 14:40, Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev wrote:
> On 19 January 2018 at 08:13, Tobias Grosser via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> >> It seems like you can choose how frequently to update.  Updating every 6
> >> to 12 months doesn’t seem overly onerous, and still gives the benefit of
> >> updates from the upstream project.
> >
> > We tend to update isl at certain times more often and prefer to have a fast turnaround in updates. The reason is that if a new LLVM change exposes a bug we  would like to fix the bug in isl immediately and want to get this fix out as fast as possible.  Should we in this case ask all buildbot admins to update? What about the debian/ubuntu builds?
>
> Maybe it's worth separating the issues here somewhat:
>
> First issue: For a user building LLVM with Polly support, is it
> expected they would build against a specifically chosen version of ISL
> rather than whatever their distro happens to have packaged. Is it
> expected that a distributed LLVM build would be packaged with a
> compiled version of the ISL library? It sounds like the answer is yes
> to both. Or am I misinterpreting your comments about rapidly updating
> ISL alongside Polly?

The answer is yes to both at the moment.

I understand that looser coupling is what we want and we indeed successfully reduced the tight coupling at many places by defining "canonical" representations and ensuring isl canonicalizes wherever reasonable. This significantly reduced our test-case deltas on isl version updates. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to do so and even less if we want to allow isl to evolve.

We tried both over multiple years, having isl as a somehow flexible external dependency and as a fixed version-locked dependency. Both is theoretically feasible, but the latter has at least from my perspective shown to be more reliable as well as user and support friendly.

> Second issue: Should the ISL source be bundled with LLVM? This
> discussion is clearly _strongly_ influenced by the previous issue.
> Including ISL in LLVM might be the first time an external dependency
> of this size has been imported. On the other hand, having on ISL as an
> external dependency could also be the first time LLVM has such a
> tightly coupled dependency (due to versioning requirements).

Right.  As an additional data point (which obviously should not cement the outcome of this discussion): Today we successfully ship isl with Polly, isl is included in LLVM releases, and debian / ubuntu ship Polly with a version-locked bundled isl.

Another data point. A LLVM bare clone has 311M, a bare clone of isl is 6.2M, all of isl zipped without history is 1.1M. As we plan to not import history, the 1.1M data added gives a repository increase of 0.36%.

Best,
Tobias