[llvm-dev] Layering Requirements in the LLVM Coding Style Guide

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 16 10:43:35 PST 2018

I would describe it from this angle: LLVM is layered just fine. Usually the layering is enforced as we don't link all libraries to all targets and you will notice missing symbols if you violate it. It just happens that you can violate the layering with header-only implementations of features that are not catched this way and sure enough we a handful of cases that violate the layering this way as David nicely explained here.

I don't think there is a reason not to fix those layering violations. We just need a plan on how to fix them.

- Matthias