[llvm-dev] RFC: [LV] any objections in moving isLegalMasked* check from Legal to CostModel? (Cleaning up LoopVectorizationLegality)

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 6 21:20:13 PST 2018

On 01/05/2018 06:28 PM, Saito, Hideki wrote:
> Amara,
>
>> I support this direction
> Thanks for the support.
>
>> but are there actually any real world workloads where gather/scatter scalarisation would be worth it, on any micro-architecture? If we don’t have examples and the compile time cost is non-negligible then I think we’d still like to keep the early >bailouts in some form.’
> It's not like I have specific application code in mind. This all depends on what your code has and how often the emulated code has to
> kick-in. I'm more than happy to implement HWLegal class, and have early bailout available under the switch. I'm also fine having early
> bail out as the default if that helps sweeten the deal. :)
>
> My intention is to make LV components more modular, reusable, and easier to maintain. Moving things where they actually belong
> is part of that picture. That makes it a lot easier for us to place those things within VPlan infrastructure and explain why that's
> the best place.

I think that we should proceed on this basis. It is not clear to me that
the extra compile time will be significant, and we shouldn't prematurely
optimize (although we should check for any significant impact).

The intrinsics should be scalarized on all targets without support (by
lib/CodeGen/ScalarizeMaskedMemIntrin.cpp which is scheduled by default
in TargetPassConfig::addIRPasses).

  -Hal

--
Hal Finkel