[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] -fvisibility=hidden, and typeinfo, and type-erasure

Jonas Bülow via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 4 07:54:33 PST 2018

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 6:15 AM Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at britannica.bec.de>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 08:34:03PM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
> >
> > Le 5 juin 2014 à 00:32, Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> >
> > > I think the difference is actually in the c++ library. It looks like
> > > libstdc++ changed to always use strcmp of the typeinfo names:
> > >
> > > https://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc?view=revision&revision=149964
> > >
> > > Should we do the same with libc++?
> >
> > What do people think about this issue?
>
> As I wrote earlier, the GCC change is plainly wrong and libc++ works
> exactly as intended.

I ran into this problem when trying to move a big proprietary code base to
use libc++ on ubuntu linux. It took me a few days until I found this mail
thread.  I have not yet found a proper way to work-around this difference
in behavior between libstdc++ and libc++.

My code base depends on a lot of third party libraries and patching those
with visibility-attributes is beyond the scope of what I can do.

Are there any other options for making libc++ work on linux when using
-fvisibility=hidden?

I'm building llvm/clang/libc++ from head-of-tree.

/J