[llvm-dev] Distinguishing trunk version number from release

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 3 14:20:39 PST 2018

I don't know about others, but I _don't_ want to be able to assign an
ordering to unreleased versions at any higher granularity than which
releases which they're in between.

Automatically assigning a consistently ordered version number to different
trunk revisions is going to be difficult/impossible in general, what with
branches, different version control systems, or even private branches in
private repositories in different version control systems, so I don't
really think it's a good idea to start going down that road.