[llvm-dev] lld: order of object files to be put into executable

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Feb 25 22:48:39 PST 2018

Hi Quolick,

the order of pages in an executable doesn't really matter in modern
operating systems. The relevant parts of the executable are mmap()ed and
loaded on demand.

Although, keeping related code together for locality could be an
advantage (both at load times w/ readahead and in the TLB during
runtime), so that's a more interesting question to pursue.

Cheers,
Nicolai

On 26.02.2018 05:33, Quolick via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Is it possible somehow to specify *order* of object files to be put to executable file?
> For example, I want to put obj1.o and obj2.o somewhere at the beginning, so when executable file would be mapped
> to memory, this code would be accessed quickly.

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.