[llvm-dev] Adding comments to 'MachineInstruction'

Martin J. O'Riordan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 17 13:53:00 PST 2018

Hi John,

Actually, I haven’t tried to resolve this.  My original question was apreamble to deciding whether or not I needed to devise a solution, but I have not yet started on a solution.  My feeling is that it would be useful to add an MI annotation for such comments, and perhaps introduce something to TableGen analogous to ‘${:comment}’ like:

  ${:verbose-comment}

that could allow the TD patterns to provide a comment independent of the BuildMI interface, with the BuildMI interface taking precedence.  The 'GetCommentOS' interface is too crude for what I want, and also does not allow me to attach comments when I am building an MI tree.

If I do implement something, I would be quite happy to share it.

Thanks,

	MartinO