[llvm-dev] Mesa 18 does not build with llvm svn

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 15 09:58:32 PST 2018

Hi Malte,

you may have already learned this elsewhere, but the general rule is
that LLVM is not backwards compatible, and so Mesa will only build with
release versions of LLVM that existed when that version of Mesa was
released.

LLVM trunk will generally only work with Mesa master.

It is unfortunately a bit of a pain during development sometimes, and I
do wish LLVM was better at keeping old interfaces around a little bit
longer with deprecation warnings for such use cases, but oh well.

Cheers,
Nicolai

On 07.02.2018 08:20, Malte Gell via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> to get a laptop with recent AMD Vega mobile GPU (aka Raven Ridge)
> running with hardware acceleration I need to build the latest mesa with
> the latest llvm.
>
> I downloaded llvm 7 from svn.
>
> Unfortunately, when trying to build mesa 18.0.rc3 with this llvm version
> the make process fails with lot of "undefined reference to
> LLVMxyzblahblah" messages.
>
> Llvm 5.x is probably not sufficient for my purpose, I need llvm => 6.
>
> Now I wonder, in the svn llvm version is 7. But on the download web site
> the latest stable version is 5.x.
>
> Is there no stable version 6?
>
> Thanks!

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.