[llvm-dev] [RFC] Should we bump the bitcode version in LLVM 6.0?

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 13 17:46:58 PST 2018

> [...]
>> anyone compiling a pre-llvm-6.0 bitcode with llvm-6.0 will lose all the
>> optimizations guarded by isFast and a pre-llvm-6.0 compiler compiling a
>> llvm-6.0 bitcode will potentially generate incorrect code w.r.t. fast math
>> expectations.
>>
>> Should we bump the bitcode version because of that and have the
>> autoupgrader properly rewrite the fast-math to preserve that semantic?
>> (I believe we should!)
>>

>> * Context *
>>
>> With https://reviews.llvm.org/D39304 / r317488 we got rid of the
>> umbrella UnsafeMath flag and introduced 3 more flags that better represent
>> the different things that happen under fast-math.
>>
>> From a bitcode perspective, this change looks like this:
>> Before r317488 we had 6 bits that respectively represented:
>>
>> UnsafeMath
>> nnan
>> ninf
>> nsz
>> arcp
>> contract
>> *unset*
>>
>> (The order may not match what is exactly in the bitcode.)
>>
>> After r317488 we had 7 bits that respectively represented:
>> reassoc (-UnsafeMath- is gone)
>> nnan
>> ninf
>> nsz
>> arcp
>> contract
>> *afn* (new bit)
>>
>> Before r317488, fast-math was true if UnsafeMath was true (this should
>> also imply all the other flags are sets). After r317488, fast-math is true
>> if all the bits are set, in particular the afn, new one, too.
>>

>> * Problem *
>>
>> Given we currently have no way to check if a bitcode file has been
>> generated pre-r317488 or post-r317488 that means that:
>> 1. a post-r317488 compiler is going to skip any optimization guarded by
>> isFast for all pre-r317488 bitcode file (remember the afn bit is not set
>> here)
>> 2. a pre-r317488 compiler is going to run any optimization guarded by
>> unsafeAlgebra for any post-r317488 bitcode file that has the reassoc bit
>> (remember we repurposed UnsafeMath)
>>
>> Scenario #2 might be unlikely but we’re potentially breaking the semantic
>> of the program. It is particularly dangerous because there is nothing that
>> is going to tell us that we are in this situation “downgrade" situation.
>> #1 means that any code that uses unsafeMath is going to get a performance
>> hit.
>>
>> In other words, one scenario implies generating wrong code and the other,
>> runtime performance regressions.
>>

> Scenario #1 is unsupported AFAIK, unless I missed something the bitcode is
> not forward compatible: loading newer bitcode with an older LLVM has never
> been supported as far I can remember.
>

> I agree, but we cannot detect that this is the situation we are in and
> debugging would prove hard. That said, if we say we don’t care, so be it :).

I just mean that in general many things can blow up when the bitcode
evolves, and we don't expect or support (as far as I know) llvm-3.9 to be
used to read/process bitcode from llvm-4.0 for instance.
(I remember implementing in the Apple LLVM a hard check and failure for
this: we don't even try)

> Scenario #2 is very much like other performance regression when we drop
> old metadata (i.e. bitcode upgrade isn't performance proof in general but
> only "best effort", there have been multiple instance of this in the past).
>

> Usually IIRC we try not to version the bitcode at all this way (i.e.
> bitcode does not have a linear versioning that is regularly bumped) but
> instead make sure the encoding itself allows an easy upgrade. I.e. the
> encoding of the FMF should have been such that the reader can detect and
> upgrade to the new IR representation.
> Now this is too late here I guess, so bumping may be a possible trade-off.
>

> Do you think we should do it, or live with the performance drop?

I'm not saying this shouldn't be done, I don't have a dog in this fight: I
was just providing another data point "as a matter of general policy" in
the past there have been other cases where we haven't been able (or rather
chose to not put effort) into preserving all the performance when upgrading
(I think TBAA comes to my mind right now, but other kind of metadata have
also been lost). Now every case is different, and the FMF can be considered
too important to be left on the table.
For example it would impact LTO when loading libraries built with Xcode9
and before whenever the next released post-r317488 come up.

> I know this performance drop is not acceptable for our use cases, but I
> don’t want to impose our ruling on this.
>

> What about any bitcode shipped after r317488 but before the version bump?
> Not worth taking into account because of the short period of time?
>

> I was hoping we can ignore that period of time because it was not in any
> official LLVM release.

Very possible, I just wanted to make sure this is a conscientious choice :)

Cheers,

--
Mehdi