[llvm-dev] Hitting kMaxNumChunks

Frederik Deweerdt via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 9 10:29:27 PST 2018

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Kostya Serebryany <kcc at google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Frederik Deweerdt
> <frederik.deweerdt at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> > If yes, yea, I guess we need to bump kMaxNumChunks
>> >

>> I'll increase the limit to 2^19 for our build, and I'll report the results
>> here.

I ended up increasing the limit to 2^20, because the max allocation
for large objects is around 100G on those hosts. With that done, i hit
an issue where adding stacks to the StackDepot became a visible
bottleneck after a few hours. To solve that, i've set
`malloc_context_size=0`, because we're not tracking leaks, and in our
experience getting the call site of the ASAN report carries enough
information to diagnose the issue. With these two changes, the build
is behaving as expected.
If you think it's worth doing, i'm happy to post a patch for the
constant increase.

Thanks,
Frederik