[llvm-dev] bootstrapping llvm with advanced configuration

blubee blubeeme via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Dec 29 10:52:10 PST 2018

I can build llvm and associated tools in a 1 shot go using gcc and g++ but
trying to use only gcc and bootstrap clang to build and link with libc++
and libc++abi

on the second phase of the build, the compilation fails

I have svn cloned
LLVM
CLANG
CLANG_XTRA_TOOLS
LLD
LLDB
POLLY
COMPILER_RT
OPENMP
LIBCXX
LIBCXXABI

cmake command below
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
-DLLVM_ENABLE_ASSERTIONS=OFF -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -GNinja
-DCLANG_ENABLE_BOOTSTRAP=ON ../toolchain70/llvm/

after that cmake command I run ninja stage2 which compiles about 3700
objects then it proceeds to try and compile the full 5000 plus objects but
fails with errors like these:

_toolchain70/llvm/projects/libcxx/include/cstdlib:114:9: error: no member
named 'strtold' in the global namespace
using ::strtold;
      ~~^
fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]

I'd like to bootstrap clang and build libc++ and libc++abi, then use the
compiled clang to build clang++ and link against libc++ instead of libstdc++

I've read: https://llvm.org/docs/AdvancedBuilds.html
but maybe I'm missing something.