[llvm-dev] LLVM Weekly - #260, December 24th 2018
Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 24 10:00:10 PST 2018
LLVM Weekly - #260, December 24th 2018
If you prefer, you can read a HTML version of this email at
Welcome to the two hundred and sixtieth issue of LLVM Weekly, a weekly
newsletter (published every Monday) covering developments in LLVM, Clang, and
related projects. LLVM Weekly is brought to you by [Alex
Bradbury](https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-bradbury/). Subscribe to future
issues at <http://llvmweekly.org> and pass it on to anyone else you think may
be interested. Please send any tips or feedback to <asb at asbradbury.org>, or
@llvmweekly or @asbradbury on Twitter.
## News and articles from around the web
Registration is [now open](http://llvm.org/devmtg/2019-04/#registration) for
EuroLLVM'19 and the call for papers [remains
LLVM 7.0.1 has been
## On the mailing lists
* Nicolai Hähnle started an RFC discussion on [adding thread group semantics
motivated by GPU requirements.
* Chandler Carruth has shared a [holiday update on the LLVM relicensing
Over 500 individual agreements have been completed, covering 73% of committers
and 80% of commits in the last 6 months and 63% of committers and 74% of
commits in the last 2 years. As explained in the email, please fill out the
individual agreement and forward the relicensing page to your employer if
[not already listed](http://llvm.org/foundation/relicensing/#corporate_agreement)
as having signed or been contacted.
* JF Bastien shares that Intel's Parallel STL implementation has [now been
* Todd Snider is [seeking
on the 'used' attribute semantics, which he observes seems to be used
* Carey Williams wrote an RFC on [allocatable global register variable for
There is currently limited support for this for the stack pointer, but this
RFC proposes extended this for other registers.
## LLVM commits
* AArch64 now has a control flow speculation tracking pass aimed at mitigating
Spectre V1 style vulnerabilities.This tracks control flow miss speculation
into a taint regiter, which can be used to mask off registers with sensitive
data. See the detailed commit message for much more information.
* FileCheck gained support for dumping its input annotated with diagnostics to
aid debugging. This helps to visualise FileCheck's matching behaviour.
* The llvm-mca library was moved from tools/llvm-mca to lib/MCA.
* AggressiveInstCombine learned to to convert a rorate with guard branch into
a funnel shift. [r349396](https://reviews.llvm.org/rL349396).
* TableGen will now only write output if it changed, instead of relying on
CMake to compare the previous output to the new output.
* The BPF backend can now generated BTF (BPF Type Format) debug info.
* `llvm.loop.parallel_accesses` and `llvm.access.group` metadata was
## Clang commits
* Clang gained an option to initialise automatic variables with either a
pattern or with zeroes. The commit message does a fantastic job of summarising
the implementation choices and options considered, so is well worth a read.
* Clang will now generate `llvm.loop.parallel_accesses` instead of
## Other project commits
* The LLVM test suite now contains the 'CoMD' molecular dynamics DoE proxy
* The sanitizer support code was updated to support running without only open
file descriptors (as may happen in the Linux 'init' process).
* lld gained support for ARM v6m thunks.
More information about the llvm-dev