[llvm-dev] [RFC] Matrix support (take 2)

Roman Lebedev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 20 09:43:35 PST 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 7:40 PM Simon Moll via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> >> Consider that over night we introduce optional mask parameters to
> >> vector instructions. Then, since you can not safely ignore the mask,
> >> every transformation and analysis that is somehow concerned with
> >> vector instructions is potentially broken and needs to be fixed.
> > True, but is there a way we could do this incrementally?  Even if we
> > start with intrinsics and then migrate to first-class support, at some
> > point passes are going to be broken with respect to masks on
> > Instructions.
>
> Here is path an idea for an incremental transition:
>
> a) Create a new, distinct type. Let's say its called the "predicated
> vector type", written "{W x double}".
>
> b) Make the predicate vector type a legal operand type for all binary
> operators and add an optional predicate parameter to them. Now, here is
> the catch: the predicate parameter is only legal if the data type of the
> operation is "predicated vector type". That is "fadd <8 x double>" will
> for ever be unpredicated. However, "fadd {8 x double} %a, %b" may have
> an optional predicate argument. Semantically, these two operations would
> be identical:
>
> fadd <8 x double>, %a, %b
>
> fadd {8 x double}, %a, %b, predicate(<8 x i1><1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1>)
>
> In terms of the LLVM type hierachy, PredicatedVectorType would be
> distinct from VectorType and so no transformation can break it. While
> you are in the transition (from unpredicated to predicated IR), you may
> see codes like this:
>
> %aP = bitcast <8 x  double> %a to {8 x double}
> %bP = bitcast <8 x  double> %b to {8 x double}
> %cP = fdiv %aP, %bP, mask(11101110) ; predicated fdiv
> %c = bitcast <8 x double> %c to %cP
> %d = fadd <8 x double> %a, %c   ; no predicated fadd yet
>
> Eventually, when all optimizations/instructions/analyses have been
> migrated to run well with the new type, 1. deprecate the old vector
> type, 2. promote it to PredicatedVectorType when parsing BCand, after a
> grace period, rename {8 x double} to <8 x double>

I'm likely missing things,
but i strongly suspect that the amount of effort needed is underestimated.

Vector support works because, with some exceptions,
vector is simply interpreted as several scalars concatenated.

Much like as with native fixed-point type support,
a whole new incompatible type is suggested to be added here.
I *suspect*, *every* single transform in instcombine/instsimplify
will need to be *duplicated*.

That is a lot. Intrinsics sound like less intrusive solution, in both cases.

Roman.