[llvm-dev] [monorepo] Downstream branch zipping tool available

Björn Pettersson A via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 18 02:23:24 PST 2018

Hi David.

Thanks for sharing your branch zipping migration script.

Unfortunately I think our situation is a little bit more complicated.

We have used llvm as the umbrella repo, so in llvm we have a "master"
branch (from the git single repo version of llvm) and a couple of
downstream branches (let's call them "down0", "down1") containing our
downstream work (with frequent merges from "master").
The downstream branches has tools/clang and runtimes/compiler-rt as
submodules, as well as a couple of downstream submodules.

In our downstream version of clang we have a similar structure.
A "master" branch (mapping to the git single repo version clang),
and a couple of downstream branches. The downstream branches has
tools/extra (i.e. clang-tools-extra) as a submodule.

I can also mention that the clang, compiler-rt and clang-tools-extra
submodules aren't present from the beginning of history. They have
been added later on.

I doubt that zip-downstream-fork.py will work out-of-the-box.
Hopefully I'll be able to patch it for our scenario. Any guidelines
might be helpful. But maybe it isn't even worth trying to adapt
zip-downstream-fork.py to do something useful for our scenario?

If someone else got a similar scenario, let me know. Perhaps we can
do some joint effort in adapting the zipper script.

Regards,
Björn