[llvm-dev] LLVM Backend for a platform with no (normal) stack

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 17 07:31:26 PST 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 7:19 AM JD Jones <jjones at prc-hsv.com> wrote:

> When I sent my first email request for help, I was thinking along the
> lines of the generously provided, previous suggestions (Mr. Hoult, Mr.
> Korobeynikov, thank you again!), to just "make a stack" using what I've
> got, but that's not the way the current compiler (which was written in
> Haskell) does things. I was hoping for some thoughts about which way to go,
> and the responses validated and gladdened.

The problem here is that you haven't told us what you *do* have -- or for
that matter whether you need to support all features of LLVM IR (or C), or
leave some out, and if so then what?

For example, does your source language and hardware allow any notion of
"address", pointers, pointer arithmetic (AREF), arrays?

What about loops? Functions? Assignment?