[llvm-dev] Disabling LLVM_ATTRIBUTE_ALWAYS_INLINE for development?

Kristina Brooks via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Dec 15 12:16:16 PST 2018

My understanding of `always_inline` is that the attribute is meant to be
used where not inlining a function would cause a (incorrect) change in
semantics of the function (anything that uses certain builtins or inline
assembly getting values of certain common registers like FP/SP/PC). Could
it be worth adding another macro for the attribute that is less ambiguous
in terms of whether forced inlining is a case of optimization, to
distinguish it from uses (I'm not actually sure if there are any) where it
may actually inadvertently change semantics?