[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

David Jones via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 13 08:31:24 PST 2018

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 7:18 AM Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 at 15:07, Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 3:34 PM James Y Knight <jyknight at google.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > We don't *need* it, no. But it might be useful.
> > >
> > > The purpose of this tag would not be for people to check out, but
> rather to allow "git describe" to return more interesting results when run
> on master.
> > >
> > > See David Jones' email from Nov 16.
> >
> > Ah, okay. "git describe" is new to me :-) I still think v8.0.0-base is
> > a better name though. v8.0.0-dev really sounds like something one
> > might check out to get the latest dev version.

Hmm, I wouldn't worry too much about checking out an old tag by accident...
that puts your client into detached head state, and git prints a nice, long
warning. (That sort of mistake should be obvious pretty quickly.)

v8.0.0-branchpoint might be even clearer, though obviously a little longer.

Whatever the convention we choose, it's going to be painful to change once
folks get used to it. (So the wording of the tag is not entirely
inconsequential.) My expectation is that the `git describe` aliases will be
the typical way to refer to commits in a git world, and aliases like
v8.0.0-branchpoint-1234-abcdef seem a bit long to me... when I think about
how often I type "rNNNNNN" today, the "-branchpoint" part seems almost
obsequious.

For a development tag, we should probably try to keep it short, simple, and
obvious. After all, we're fundamentally talking about a tag used for
development, not releases; something short, like "master-v8" would yield
concise, obvious aliases like "master-v8-1234-abcdef01". (Tags on release
branches are a fundamentally different matter, and could continue looking
exactly like they do today.)

FWIW, the conventions I've seen have been inconsistent. One possible
consideration: the "-dev" suffix is sometimes used to indicate a dirty
workspace, but git describe puts the --dirty suffix after the hash. (So
it's unambiguous, in any case.)