[llvm-dev] Automatic GPU Code Generation

Madhur Amilkanthwar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 10 23:43:40 PST 2018

Hmm.. AFAIK, state-of-the-art tools use source-to-source approach. You may
want to look at current PPCG if they have an option to bypass CUDA (I
suspect not).
Is there any reason why you want to avoid that?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 1:05 PM hameeza ahmed <hahmed2305 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank You..
> I am asking to generate directly PTX code automatically or by directives
> without involvement of CUDA. This way, I am talking about avoiding source
> to source compiler approach where c code is converted automatically into
> CUDA, instead I am saying directly to convert C code to PTX assembly.
>
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 12:19 PM Madhur Amilkanthwar <
> madhur13490 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can skip CUDA code generation and target PTX assembly. PTX is a
>> common assembly language for NVIDIA's GPU. You may want to look at PPCG,
>> Pluto projects to get a hint of how automatic CUDA code can be generated by
>> compilers. They are based on polyhedral model so come with some inherent
>> limitations.
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2018, 12:07 PM hameeza ahmed via llvm-dev <
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I need to ask, like automatic compiler vectorization, can GPU ISA be
>>> generated automatically, by skipping the CUDA programming?
>>> For instance if i just write C code there can be 2 possibilities, semi
>>> and full automatic.
>>> In case of semi, we can write #pragma directives to say this should be
>>> run on gpu. hence can the compiler generates directly gpu ISA, skipping
>>> CUDA code?
>>> In case of fully automatic, can we just write simple C code and compiler
>>> is intelligent enough to determine which portion is suitable for GPU and
>>> generates GPU ISA accordingly?
>>>
>>> I need to know the progress made so far in both the above mentioned
>>> directions.
>>>
>>> Thank You
>>> Regards

*Disclaimer: Views, concerns, thoughts, questions, ideas expressed in this
mail are of my own and my employer has no take in it. *
Thank You.
Madhur D. Amilkanthwar