[llvm-dev] [RFC][llvm-mca] Adding binary support to llvm-mca.

Guillaume Chatelet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 10 07:15:46 PST 2018

+1 to what Clement said.
I believe the intrinsics are a better design to support many architectures.

IACA users are probably decorating their code with IACA_START / IACA_END
macros. One possibility is to provide a header that define these macros in
terms of the new intrinsics.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 3:59 PM Clement Courbet <courbet at google.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt/Andrea,
>
> I see pros and cons for IACA-style markers vs intrinsics.
> On the one hand, IACA-style markers are very magical, and not very visible
> in both the source and object code. Using IACA-style markers has the
> advantage that you can use llvm-mca as a drop-in replacement for IACA, or
> even to compare their outputs on the exact same binary. They also do not
> require tooling on the compiler side and allow comparing the output of
> several compilers.

On the other hand, IACA-style markers do not have a equivalent on other