[llvm-dev] AliasAnalysis does not look though a memcpy

Andrew Savonichev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 6 06:33:00 PST 2018

Finkel, Hal J. writes:

>>> Hi, Andrew,
>>>
>>> To be clear, you'd like BasicAA to look back, not just trough the
>>> memcpy, but also through the loads and stores of the addresses?
>>>
>> Yes, exactly. I was mostly concerned about memcpy, but you're right,
>> loads/stores of addresses seems to have the same issue.
>
> We've not generally seen a need to put this kind of logic into BasicAA,
> and even if we were motivated to do so, we'd need to be very careful
> about compile-time impact.

Understood. I assume that the best way to ensure that is to add this
logic into a new AA.

>>> BasicAA currently doesn't do any of that under the presumption that,
>>> once SROA, InstCombine, etc. do promotion and simplification, AA will
>>> be able to understand the rest.
>> That is what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.
>>
>>> Can you say more about the use case?
>> OpenCL C has a notion of Generic Address Space (GAS), allowing you to
>> cast a pointer from any (named) address space to a GAS pointer. Then you
>> can use this GAS pointer instead of a named AS pointer. Compiler is
>> responsible to infer the original address space of a GAS pointer when it
>> is actually used (for load/store), otherwise this is a compilation
>> error.
>
> That seems scary :-) -- Can this inference not be done syntactically in
> Clang?
>

>From a frontend perspective, a GAS pointer is just a pointer:

  void foo(int *p, int *q) { *p = 42; *q = 43; };

Until Clang reaches a call site, it has no idea about real address
spaces of `p' and `q'. When we do reach a call site, `foo()' can already
be CodeGen'ed, so we can't really change anything.

--
Andrew

Joint Stock Company Intel A/O
17 Krylatskaya Str., Bldg 4, Moscow 121614,
Russian Federation