[llvm-dev] LLVM/Clang/Compiler-RT tarballs version 7.0.0rc2

Brooks Davis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 27 15:36:26 PDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:09:06AM +0200, Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo at hahnjo.de> wrote:
> > On 2018-08-27 09:44, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, I see.
> >> You have an unusual development process seen from my POV.
> >

> > GNOME does the same, to pick one example:
> > https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointTwentynine
> > Tarballs are due on Monday, official release and announcement are on
> > Wednesday.
> >
> >> IMHO you can provide the tarballs before the "binaries" are uploaded
> >> which means "prebuilt binaries".
> >> That could increase the quality of developing when different arch/os
> >> maintainers give their OK.
> >

> > We had that discussion, please see older threads: It's just that there is
> > some internal testing before uploading the tarballs for "public" testing.
> > For rc1 tagging was on August 3rd, upload of the tarballs on August 7th.
>
> Technically speaking, we could publish the source tarballs straight
> away after tagging, it's just that it's easier for me to publish the
> sources, binaries and docs in one go. I'll think about changing my
> process.

As the FreeBSD port/package maintainer, it would be somewhat helpful for
me if you uploaded the sources at tagging time.  Mostly it would mean
I'd be able to jump on an update as soon at the tagging announcement came
out.  It's not a big deal one way or another another since Dimitry does
the main testing as part of keep the copy in the FreeBSD base system up
to date.

-- Brooks