[llvm-dev] [assembler + debuginfo] interaction with .file directive and debuginfo

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 23 15:18:12 PDT 2018

[ I discussed this briefly with Paul off list and he suggested it would be
better here. ]

Among the changes in 7.0.0 are some that were added to support DWARFv5's
.debug_line.

The presence of ".file" mutes debug info generated by the assembler as of
r328208 - logic in AsmParser::enabledGenDwarfForAssembly().

The comment there states: "If we haven't encountered any .file directives
(which would imply that the assembler source was produced with debug info
already) then emit one describing the assembler source file itself."

Does .file imply that the assembly source was already produced with debug
info?  Perhaps not in all cases.  If you wanted to emit an ELF::STT_FILE
into your object, for example, you might add ```.file "foo.s"```.

I think we should change this behavior to the previous - check for "-g" but
ignore ".file" directives.   Or maybe there's a compromise to be found among
the different versions of ".file" with various args?  Thoughts?

-Brian