[llvm-dev] How does LLDB locate the DWARF information stored inside MACH-O .o files produced by LLVM and LLD?

Andrew Kelley via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 23 12:19:52 PDT 2018

Thanks David.

I figured it out. Here's the scoop:

The executable has a LC_SYMTAB. One of those nlist_64 entries has the
string set to the .o file path, and the n_type set to N_OSO.
So you can go from symbol to .o file.
Then you go read the .o file, and the first load command is LC_SEGMENT_64.
That has some number of sections following it, among which are the DWARF
sections.

I had tried this, but I forgot to increment a pointer in a loop, so I
thought all the sections were the same as the first one. D'oh!

Regards,
-Andrew