[llvm-dev] Putting "tied-to" constraints on virtual registers in SelectionDAGISel's Select() method

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 22 16:46:16 PDT 2018

   Hello.
     I come back to ask about the tied-to constraints of MachineInstr, specifiable in
TableGen through properties like:
         string Constraints = "$wd = $ws";

     Is there any good reference (academic paper) on tied-to constraints? For me they look
very similar to the constraints in register coalescing - see e.g. page 3, slide 11 of
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/academic/class/15745-s16/www/lectures/L23-Register-Coalescing.pdf.

     I looked a bit in the LLVM code - tied-to constraints are taken into consideration in
the allocator, but also in the modules RegisterCoalescer.cpp,
TwoAddressInstructionPass.cpp, etc.
     I will try one of these days to see if using many such tied-to constraints in a
rather small program can result in severely suboptimal allocation.

   Thank you,
     Alex