[llvm-dev] Adding minimal target support to build clang

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Aug 19 07:29:53 PDT 2018

Hi!

In Debian, we have recently run into the situation that the package
qttools-opensource-src has added LLVM's clang parser as a build dependency
with the effect that the package can no longer be built for a couple of
architectures like alpha or ia64 [1].

>From my current understanding, qttools-opensource-src is merely using the
parser part in clang to parse C/C++ code for code analysis which is not
necessarily an architecture-specific task.

Now, does anyone know whether it would be possible to enable this feature
on any given architecture without having to add a full target backend to
LLVM? Maybe we could just build an LLVM variant on unsupported targets
with the x86 backend enabled (in case it's mandatory to have at least
one backend enabled).

Thanks,
Adrian

--