[llvm-dev] M68K codegen target

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 14 16:42:22 PDT 2018

Hi!

> A couple years back I’ve started a M68K codegen port of LLVM, and then suspended it
> for the lack of free time. Now I finally got some time and willing to continue
> working on it. To keep up with LLVM changes I'd like to merge it upstream.

I'm Debian's principal maintainer for the m68k port and I just wanted to say
that an m68k backend for LLVM is one of the few things that are missing for
this port in Debian besides working gccgo support.

Debian on m68k is currently in very good shape and fun to use. It runs on
real hardware such Amigas, Ataris and 68k-Macs as well as emulators such
as Aranym and QEMU, the latter recently received heavy improvements in the
m68k target. The Linux kernel for m68k is actively maintained by multiple
developers and recently even received new drivers for hardware like ethernet
boards and SCSI controllers. The architecture is still very popular among
retro-computing enthusiasts.

So, while it may seem a bit strange at first look to add target support to
LLVM for such an old CPU, it's actually something that many users are looking
forward to and will certainly very actively used within the community in
projects like Debian, NetBSD and the emulation community.

Since I am also working for Rust support for m68k, I am very much looking
forward to see that Artyom is working on this backend!

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz