[llvm-dev] New and more general Function Merging optimization for code size

Rodrigo Caetano Rocha via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 2 08:58:00 PDT 2018

Hi Hal,

Because my function merging strategy is able to merge any two function,
allowing for different CFGs, different parameters, etc.
I am unable to use just a simple hash value to compare whether or not two
functions are similar.

Therefore, the idea is to have an infrastructure which allows me to compare
whether or not two functions are similar without having traverse the two
function (basically performing a merge for all pairs).
I'm precomputing a fingerprint of all functions, which is then cached for
later use (this might also be useful to enable this function merging with
ThinLTO).
At the moment, this fingerprint is just a map of opcode -> number of
occurrences in the function, which is just a ~64-int-array.

Then, for each functions being considered for a merge, I'm able to rank the
candidates with a PriorityQueue.

Hopefully, we are able to do that in a very lightweight manner.

After that, the more expensive bit will be actually performing the merge
and then checking for profitability, using the TTI for code-size.

I haven't given much thought about adapting this infrastructure for the SLP
Vectorizer, but perhaps something similar could also work there.

Cheers,

Rodrigo Rocha