[llvm-dev] exploring possibilities for unifying ThinLTO and FullLTO frontend + initial optimization pipeline

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 10 07:38:29 PDT 2018

Hi Katya,

[+Teresa since this is about ThinLTO & she's the owner there]

I'm not sure how other folks feel, but terminologically I'm not sure I
think of these as different formats (for example you mention the idea of
stripping the summaries from ThinLTO BC files to then feed them in as
FullLTO files - I would imagine it'd be reasonable to modify/fix/improve
the linker integration to have it (perhaps optionally) /ignore/ the
summaries, or use the summaries but in a non-siloed way (so that there's
not that optimization boundary between ThinLTO and FullLTO))

You're dealing with a situation where you are shipped BC files offline and
then do one, or multiple builds with these BC files?

If the scenario was more like a naive build: Multiple BC files generated on
a single (multi-core/threaded) machine (but some Thin, some Full) & then
fed to the linker, I would wonder if it'd be relatively cheap for the LTO
step to support this by computing summaries for FullLTO files on the fly
(without a separate tool/writing the summary to disk, etc). Though I
suppose that'd produce a pretty wildly different behavior in the link when
just a single ThinLTO BC file was added to an otherwise FullLTO build.

Anyway - just some (admittedly fairly uninformed) thoughts. I'm sure Teresa
has more informed ideas about how this might all look.