[llvm-dev] LLVM back end for the research Connex SIMD processor

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 4 02:41:13 PDT 2018

   Hello.
     I'd like to advertise the LLVM back end I developed in the last 2 years for the
research Connex wide SIMD processor, which can have up to 4096 lanes. The Connex SIMD
processor is designed to run efficiently BLAS routins, is an easily reconfigurable
low-power processor with scratchpad memory, a shift register for inter-lane communication,
a hardware sum-reduction tree and predictable performance - you can find details about it
at this address: http://users.dcae.pub.ro/~gstefan/2ndLevel/connex.html . The processor
has a clean design and its Verilog source code could be made open-source.

     You can find the source code of the latest version of the compiler (LLVM back end and
extensions for Connex in the LoopVectorize module, etc) and runtime I develop for the
Connex SIMD processor at this address:
https://sites.google.com/site/alexsusu/myfilecabinet/OpincaaLLVM_REPO.zip . I would like
to commit the Connex back end in the very near future in the LLVM repository.
      Also, the Opincaa runtime assembler library contains a great Connex SIMD processor
simulator, which can be used in case you don't have access to the real processor.

     Please let me know if you are interested in contributing to this work - there are
plenty of interesting things to be done, closely related to research to compilers and
high-level synthesis.

     Some papers that describe the compiler and the processor are available at:
https://sites.google.com/site/alexsusu/myfilecabinet/OpincaaLLVM_compiler.pdf and
https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/d8/cd/catc17-source-to-source-vectorizer-connex-simd-accelerator.pdf
.
     Please don't hesitate to say if you have any questions or feedback.

   Thank you,
     Alex