[llvm-dev] [RFC] Polly Status and Integration

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 29 03:05:00 PDT 2017

Hi Alexandre,

great to get more people involved! (That also includes Sebastian who
wrote the last mail).

On 09/28, Alexandre Isoard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I started to copy parts of the ScalarEvolution interface in
> > order to integrate the analysis passes this way into LLVM
> > transformations. While it is obviously hard (and probably not useful) to
> > provide "exactly" the same interface as ScalarEvolution, I can look at
> > the use cases e.g., LoopDeletion, and try to come up with a general way
> > to convey the needed information, e.g. "bool mayBeInfinite(Loop *L)".
> >
> > My point is that I can easily use the modular analysis design to do only
> > what is needed to answer a query without any worrying about side effects
> > that are of no concern.
>

> Great! We do some wonderful stuff with ScalarEvolution and I was waiting
> for something like that to exploit some of that polyhedral magic. I think
> that this is a promising approach. However, because having Polyhedral
> Analysis is an orthogonal approach to Polly (which is more like a
> Polyhedral IR), it is not really correlated with the true goal of this
> discussion: integrating Polly or not into LLVM (except that it would mean
> isl is already a dependency).
>
> I am okay with having those two approaches in LLVM itself.

I do not object to this statement, nor to the reasoning below. I
mentioned before that Polly is the (only) way to get a full blown
polyhedral compiler pipeline, at least for the foreseeable future. My
main arguments targeted the use of parts of it as stand-alone analyses
and you summarized that well.

Thanks!

--
  Johannes