[llvm-dev] Errors linking with LLVM 5.0 - dump() missing

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 26 11:54:11 PDT 2017

> On Sep 26, 2017, at 7:04 AM, David Keaton via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>>> In the meantime `cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-DLLVM_ENABLE_DUMP"` should do the trick.
>>      Thank you.  That was the flag we needed.
>>      Unfortunately, when I tried this just now, I found that the declaration of llvm::MachineRegisterInfo::dumpUses() in include/llvm/CodeGen/MachineRegisterInfo.h is missing the check against LLVM_ENABLE_DUMP.  It has only
>> #ifndef NDEBUG
>> which causes the build to fail because the definition in lib/CodeGen/MachineRegisterInfo.cpp is guarded by this.
>> #if !defined(NDEBUG) || defined(LLVM_ENABLE_DUMP)
>
>     Unfortunately, this was only the beginning.  I tried updating the header file to test LLVM_ENABLE_DUMP as well, and when I did that, the build hit another such case, which I tried fixing, and then it hit another, and another.  Here is what I have found so far that would need to be fixed under the current arrangement.
>
> LLVM_ENABLE_DUMP added to:
>
> include/llvm/CodeGen/MachineRegisterInfo.h
> 	dumpUses()
>
> include/llvm/CodeGen/MachineScheduler.h
> 	dumpScheduledState()
>
> include/llvm/CodeGen/TargetSchedule.h
> 	getResourceName()
>
> include/llvm/MC/MCSchedule.h
> 	Name
>
> utils/TableGen/SubtargetEmitter.cpp
> 	emitted code inside EmitSchedModel()
>
> Unknown location in AArch64
> 	This is not the end.  I just lost track of what to change at this point.
I guess that was to be expected with an option that didn't even have a cmake flag. I would propose to just check for LLVM_ENABLE_DUMP in the sourcecode and move the logic that debug builds have dump() methods to the cmake side of things to simplify things. But I think that needs agreement and someone to write a patch.

+CC some of the people who I believe made the decision for the current style.

>     Perhaps it would be easier to revert the change that hid the dump() methods.  That would have another advantage as well.  Before LLVM 5.0.0, Chapel had the ability to link with an existing pre-built LLVM if it was installed on the system.  With LLVM 5.0.0, we cannot do that any longer because we need to compile with LLVM_ENABLE_DUMP defined.  It takes 10x longer to compile LLVM than it does to compile the rest of Chapel, so it is quite a burden to require a recompilation of LLVM to get the dump() methods.
Again: I consider client code calling dump() to be a misuse.

If you want to dump IR, can't you just switch your code from
    Value.dump();  to Value.print(dbgs(), true); dbgs() << '\n';
?

- Matthias