[llvm-dev] Effectiveness of llvm optimisation passes

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 22 14:01:22 PDT 2017

> On Sep 22, 2017, at 12:17 AM, Yi Lin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I noticed that there is a '-run-pass' argument for llc. I am wondering if I can do a similar approach with machine level optimisations/passes for llc. Are those passes optional (so I can turn them off)? And how can I get MIR format as llc expects with '-run-pass'?
It depends on the pass, some are optional, some aren't; if the pass has `if (skipFunction()) return false;` in the code then it is an optional pass that gets skipped in -O0.

In theory you should be able to do llc -stop-before, -run-pass, -start-after and write the intermediate results to .mir files. In practice we are not there yet. Targets have a big amount of state scattered around. The .mir files capture a lot it but not all, so it is likely that things don't work if you serialize to .mir in between.

And for the record: Despite the problems, the .mir files are an invaluable tool to write tests that test a single machine pass independently.

- Matthias