[llvm-dev] Dependency Info from AST

mats petersson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 19 10:38:30 PDT 2017

It really depends on what you are actually trying to achieve, but `nm` will
give you a list of function & variable names that are declared or external
to a particular file.
If I do `nm` on a simple test-file here, I get:

                 U fflush
0000000000000000 T main
0000000000000000 D max_source
                 U printf
                 U puts
                 U stdout

This tells me that this file declares a function called `main` (T = Text =
Code = Function) and a variable (D = Data = Variable) called `max_source`.
It also uses `fflush`, `printf`, `puts` and `stdout` from somewhere else
(in this case, I happen to know these are all in the C library).

Let's say my file also had a call to `func_1` with U in front, it would
mean that a (non-standard library function, since `func_1` is not the name
of any standard library function) is in a different file. You may then have
to do `nm func.o` to find that this function is declared in `func.c`
(assuming that's what produced `func.o` of course).

To get C++ names into human readable form, you probably want to run the
output from `nm` into `c++filt` (it demangles the C++ mangled name into
something like `func_1(int)` instead of `_Z6func_1i` or some whatever the
mangled form of func_1 would be.

Putting this together to show which source produces which functions and
variables, you'd want a bit of Python code, using a dictionary (or write it
in C++ and use std::map if you prefer - my Python skills are low, so I may
well have opted for that method).

The point about this is that you can put this together with about 15-20
lines of code, rather than a rather complex ASTVisitor that does about the
same thing (of course, if you want to build a proper cross referencing
tool, that lists that `func_1` is declared on line 4231 in `func.c`, and
that it references the global variable `x` 13 times, 5 of which are writes,
8 of which are reads), then you can't do that using `nm`)

--
Mats