[llvm-dev] compiling for the ipad

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 18 12:20:11 PDT 2017

Weird. The xcode compiler has been llvm for a long time, and A64 has been
supported since the iPhone 5s came out four years ago.

Perhaps you're asking this because you have an existing project targeting
A32 and Apple just made that obsolete.

I wouldn't advise starting a project doing specifically native compilation
for iPhone or iPad at this point. New iOS projects have defaulted to
uploading llvm bitcode to the iTunes store for about two years already.
It's still possible to change this (or use old projects) right now,  but I
would not be surprised if bitcode-only becomes compulsory very soon, the
same as WatchOS and tvOS are already.