[llvm-dev] Using source-based code coverage on baremetal

Martin J. O'Riordan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 11 02:37:40 PDT 2017

I think that this proposal would be very useful, and I will describe our experiences of trying to do this for our embedded bare-metal target.

Recently we implemented support for just the '-fprofile-instr-generate' option and the 'compiler-rt/lib/profile' sources, and added the following to our LD scripts:

      /* Append the LLVM profiling sections */
      . = ALIGN(4);
      PROVIDE(__start___llvm_prf_cnts = .);
      *(__llvm_prf_cnts)
      PROVIDE(__stop___llvm_prf_cnts = .);

      . = ALIGN(4);
      PROVIDE(__start___llvm_prf_data = .);
      *(__llvm_prf_data)
      PROVIDE(__stop___llvm_prf_data = .);

      . = ALIGN(4);
      PROVIDE(__start___llvm_prf_names = .);
      *(__llvm_prf_names)
      PROVIDE(__stop___llvm_prf_names = .);

      . = ALIGN(4);
      PROVIDE(__start___llvm_prf_vnds = .);
      *(__llvm_prf_vnds)
      PROVIDE(__stop___llvm_prf_vnds = .);

This removed the need for the '.ctors' model for registering functions (which also reduces the run-time cost) and enabled our target to use the model described in 'InstrProfilingPlatformLinux.cpp' instead of 'InstrProfilingPlatformOther.cpp', adding our triple to 'lib/Transforms/Instrumentation/InstrProfiling.cpp'.

We use Newlib for our LibC so we have a reasonably complete ISO C library, but we do not have a file-system so the FILE based I/O cannot work.  And as there is no environment, dependence on environment variables is also meaningless.  I won't even bother discussing memory-mapped files ;-)

We also have to ensure that the basic instrumentation initialisation process normally handled by 'RegistrationRuntime Registration' is performed before the program is allowed execute, and that the data is subsequently dumped (taken off-chip) after execution.  This is done with a bit of smoke and mirrors as many programs in the embedded environment to not have support for running the '.ctors' functions before and the 'atexit' functions after execution (especially C programs).

But the Compiler-RT profile library also integrates the automatic merging and collation of data from multiple runs within the library implementation itself, and this is a really significant problem for base-metal system with no OS and no file-system.  It does this using "patterns" in the file name (derived from the environment), and the data collation performed by the system being profiled.

I think that to better facilitate bare-metal systems, this process of collating the results of multiple runs would be best provided by a separate stand-alone utility on the host system that would perform this logic offline rather than having it integrated online as it is currently defined.

Our implementation can now gather data for a single run ('default.profraw') but does not (yet) have the capability of collating the results from more than one profiling run.

We have not yet started supporting the other instrumentation such as coverage and ubsan, but hope to do so now that we have figured out how to do basic profiling for PGO.

	MartinO