[llvm-dev] RFC: Introduce DW_OP_LLVM_memory to describe variables in memory with dbg.value

Adrian Prantl via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 7 11:09:09 PDT 2017

> [...]
> LLVM SSA values obviously do not have an address that we can take and they don’t live in registers, so neither the default memory location model nor DW_OP_regN make sense for LLVM’s dbg.value. We could hypothetically repurpose DW_OP_stack_value to indicate that the SSA value passed to llvm.dbg.value *is* the variable’s value, and if the expression lacks DW_OP_stack_value, it must be a the address of the value. However, that is backwards incompatible and it seems like quite a stretch.
>
> Seems like a stretch in what sense? The backwards incompatibility is certainly something to consider (though we went through that with DW_OP_bit_piece too), but this seems like the design I'd go to first so I'd like to better understand why it's not the path forward if there's some more detail about that aspect of the design choice here.
>
> I guess you described this already, but talking it through for myself/maybe others will find this useful:
>
> So since we don't have DW_OP_regN for LLVM registers, we could sort of assume the implicit first value on the stack is a pseudo-OP_regN of the LLVM SSA register.
>
> Yep, that's how we use DIExpressions in both IR and MIR: The LHS of the dbg.value and DBG_VALUE instructions are a register-like value that gets pushed onto the expression stack. The DWARF asmprinter does some expression folding to clean things up, but that's the model.
>
> To support that, all existing uses would need no changes to match the DWARF model of registers being implicitly direct values.
>
> Code that wanted to describe the register as containing the memory address of the interesting thing would use DW_OP_stack_value to say "this location description that is a register is really an address you should follow to find the value, not a direct value itself"?
>
> But code that wanted to describe a variable as being 3 bytes ahead of a pointer in an LLVM SSA register would only have "plus 3" in the expression stack, since then it's no longer a direct value but is treated as a pointer to the value. I guess this is where the ambiguity would come in - currently how does "plus 3" get interpreted when seen in LLVM IR, I guess that's meant to describe reg value + 3 as being the immediate value of the variable? (so it's implicitly OP_stack_value? & OP_stack_value is added somewhere in the DWARF backend?)
>
> Our model today is inconsistent. In LLVM IR today, the SSA value of the dbg.value *is* the interesting value, it is not the address, and we typically use empty DIExpressions. If the value is ultimately register allocated and the DIExpression is empty, we will emit a DW_OP_regN location expression. If the value is spilled, we usually don't need to append DW_OP_stack_value because the location is now a memory location, which can be described by DW_OP_[f]breg.

I wouldn't go as far to call it inconsistent, it is just that an IR dbg.value describing an SSA value has different semantics than a MIR DBG_VALUE (because in MIR we can actually distinguish between it describing a register or a register-indirect memory locations).

> Today, passes that want to add "plus 3" to a DIExpression go out of their way to add DW_OP_stack_value to the DIExpression because the backend won't do it for us, even though dbg.value normally describes the value, not an address.

I agree that we are too fuzzy about the semantics of DW_OP_stack_value in DIExpressions.

-- adrian