[llvm-dev] RFC: Introduce DW_OP_LLVM_memory to describe variables in memory with dbg.value

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 6 10:01:52 PDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 1:00 PM Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Debug info today handles two cases reasonably well:
> 1. At -O0, dbg.declare does a good job describing variables that live at
> some known stack offset
> 2. With optimizations, variables promoted to SSA can be described with
> dbg.value
>
> This leaves behind a large hole in our optimized debug info: variables
> that cannot be promoted, typically because they are address-taken. This is
> https://llvm.org/pr34136, and this RFC is mostly about addressing that.
>
> The status today is that instcombine removes all dbg.declares and
> heuristically inserts dbg.values where it can identify the value of the
> variable in question. This prevents us from having misleading debug info,
> but it throws away information about the variable’s location in memory.
>
> Part of the reason that instcombine discards dbg.declares is that we can’t
> mix and match dbg.value with dbg.declare. If the backend sees a
> dbg.declare, it accepts that information as more reliable and discards all
> DBG_VALUE instructions associated with that variable. So, we need something
> we can mix. We need a way to say, the variable lives in memory *at this
> program point*, and it might live somewhere else later on. I propose that
> we introduce DW_OP_LLVM_memory for this purpose, and then we transition
> from dbg.declare to dbg.value+DW_OP_LLVM_memory.
>
> Initially I believed that DW_OP_deref was the way to say this with
> existing DWARF expression opcodes, but I implemented that in
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D37311 and learned more about how DWARF
> expressions work. When a debugger begins evaluating a DWARF expression, it
> assumes that the resulting value will be a pointer to the variable in
> memory. For a debugger, this makes sense, because debug builds put things
> in memory and even after optimization many variables must be spilled. Only
> the special DW_OP_regN and DW_OP_stack_value expression opcodes change the
> location of the value from memory to register or stack value.
>
> LLVM SSA values obviously do not have an address that we can take and they
> don’t live in registers, so neither the default memory location model nor
> DW_OP_regN make sense for LLVM’s dbg.value. We could hypothetically
> repurpose DW_OP_stack_value to indicate that the SSA value passed to
> llvm.dbg.value *is* the variable’s value, and if the expression lacks
> DW_OP_stack_value, it must be a the address of the value. However, that is
> backwards incompatible and it seems like quite a stretch.

Seems like a stretch in what sense? The backwards incompatibility is
certainly something to consider (though we went through that with
DW_OP_bit_piece too), but this seems like the design I'd go to first so I'd
like to better understand why it's not the path forward if there's some
more detail about that aspect of the design choice here.

I guess you described this already, but talking it through for myself/maybe
others will find this useful:

So since we don't have DW_OP_regN for LLVM registers, we could sort of
assume the implicit first value on the stack is a pseudo-OP_regN of the
LLVM SSA register.

To support that, all existing uses would need no changes to match the DWARF
model of registers being implicitly direct values.

Code that wanted to describe the register as containing the memory address
of the interesting thing would use DW_OP_stack_value to say "this location
description that is a register is really an address you should follow to
find the value, not a direct value itself"?

But code that wanted to describe a variable as being 3 bytes ahead of a
pointer in an LLVM SSA register would only have "plus 3" in the expression
stack, since then it's no longer a direct value but is treated as a pointer
to the value. I guess this is where the ambiguity would come in - currently
how does "plus 3" get interpreted when seen in LLVM IR, I guess that's
meant to describe reg value + 3 as being the immediate value of the
variable? (so it's implicitly OP_stack_value? & OP_stack_value is added
somewhere in the DWARF backend?)

Thanks,
- Dave