[llvm-dev] Using source-based code coverage on baremetal

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 6 02:51:08 PDT 2017

Hello Eli,

I think that this would be very useful for bare-metal systems,
particularly for those without trace capture or the software to
analyze it. I seem to remember an internal proof of concept experiment
to see if we could get profiling working in an embedded toolchain,
which we did after making similar, but toolchain specific,
linker/library modifications that you did.

I think the most valuable contribution would be in example
documentation such as the steps you outline above. Moreover I think
that more documentation and recipes for building and testing
compiler-rt for bare-metal would be extremely valuable.

I'm not much of an expert on profiling, or compiler-rt but I'm willing
to help out where I can.

My understanding is that COMPILER_RT_BAREMETAL_BUILD is indeed used to
exclude objects from the library that would be incompatible with a
bare-metal target. It looks like it was introduced in
https://reviews.llvm.org/D33018.

I've not looked into how this works in compiler-rt/compiler right now
so apologies if this is somewhat speculative.
As I understand it, the section __start and __end symbols is a GNU ld
convention. I think one way of baking this in would be to separate out
functions that access the __start and __end symbols into
getSectionStart(), getSectionEnd() functions (probably weak
definitions) that are in their own .o file. If a bare-metal toolchain
has a different set of linker magic/convention it can implement its
own getSectionStart() and getSectionEnd(). On the assumption that most
bare-metal toolchains have their own target and driver a flag sounds
like a good idea.

Peter