[llvm-dev] Looking for dogfooders of LLVM's PDB Debug Info on Windows

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 5 15:58:13 PDT 2017

Hi all, in case you missed the blog post from a week ago, LLD is now
generating PDBs when you link with /DEBUG.

If you're a regular Windows user, and you frequently use either the VS
debugger or WinDbg as part of your daily routine, I just want to throw out
there that you can now switch to a clang selfhost build + optionally
linking with LLD, and dogfood our debug info.

To do a selfhost build, all you need to do is first do an optimized build
of clang using whatever settings you normally do, then do a second
non-optimized build and pass
-DCMAKE_C_EXECUTABLE=<release-bin-dir>/clang-cl.exe
-DCMAKE_CXX_EXECUTABLE=<release-bin-dir>/clang-cl.exe

Then when you wan tto debug whatever part of LLVM / Clang you're working
on, just point it to this self-hosted executable and file bugs if the
debugger acts weird.

Thanks!