[llvm-dev] RFC: We need to explicitly state that some functions are reserved by LLVM

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 28 09:42:27 PDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Friedman, Eli via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 10/26/2017 9:01 PM, Hal Finkel via llvm-dev wrote:
>

> On 10/26/2017 10:56 PM, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev wrote:
>

> On Oct 26, 2017, at 8:14 PM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>

> One alternative that seems appealing but doesn't actually help would be to
> make `TargetLibraryInfo` ignore internal functions. That is how the C++
> spec seems to handle this for example (C library function names are
> reserved only when they have linkage). But this doesn't work well for LLVM
> because we want to be able to LTO an internalized C library. So I think we
> need the rule for LLVM function names to not rely on linkage here.
>

> Oh sorry, (almost) TLDR I didn’t get to this part.  I don’t see how this
> is applicable.  If you’re statically linking in a libc, I think it is fine
> to forgo the optimizations that TargetLibraryInfo is all about.
>
> If these transformations are important to use in this case, we should
> invent a new attribute, and the thing that turns libc symbols into internal
> ones should add the attribute to the (now internal) libc symbols.
>

> I'm not sure; some of the transformations are somewhat special (e.g.,
> based on mathematical properties, or things like printf -> puts
> translation). LTO alone certainly won't give you those kinds of things via
> normal IPA, and I doubt we want attributes for all of them. Also, having
> LTO essentially disable optimizations isn't good either.
>

> Given the way the optimization pipeline works; we can't treat an
> "internal" function as equivalent to a C library function.  When the
> linkage of a function becomes "internal", optimizations start kicking in
> based on the fact that we can see all the users of the function.
>
> For example, suppose my program has one call to puts with the constant
> string "foo", and one call to printf which can be transformed into a call
> to puts, and we LTO the C library into it.  First we run IPSCCP, which will
> constant-propagate the address of the string into the implementation of
> puts.  Then instcombine runs and transforms the call to printf into a call
> to puts.  Now we have a miscompile, because our "puts" can only output
> "foo".

Slightly off topic. This particular example probably just shows the issue
in implementation. A more robust way to implement this is to 'clone' the
original function and privatize it instead of the original function.  The
removal of the original function can be delayed till the real link time
when linker sees no references to it.   This is also a more flexible scheme
as LTO does not need to operate in strict whole program mode, nor does it
need to query linker to see if the function is referenced by other library
functions not visible to the compiler (in IR form), or there is reference
to the symbol through dlopen/dlsym ..

David