[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding bit to register MachineOperands to allow post-RA register renaming

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 26 10:52:22 PDT 2017

I like the idea, this is not the first time we try to perform recoloring/renaming operations late. I agree with Quentin though that we should have a way to mark def and use operands! You can probably play more games and re-use the IsDead bit on use operands.

> On Oct 26, 2017, at 5:54 AM, Nemanja Ivanovic via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Forgive me if these questions are naive or if I'm misunderstanding something. I'm certainly very interested in seeing the MachineCopyPropagation patch finally land and stick.
>
> 1. Wouldn't function live-ins and reserved registers have started life as physical registers already? For example, wouldn't a live-in be a copy from a physical register to a virtual one allowing the flag to be set correctly on the def? A reserved register on the other hand just seems like something we shouldn't touch, doesn't it?
> 2. I must admit that I don't really know how Aggressive Anti Dependence Breaker works, but doesn't it already rename registers? How does it know which ones are safe to rename and which aren't?
Heuristics which seem to work today but which at least I am not very comfortable with. I think it's mostly this part:

   // If MI's defs have a special allocation requirement, don't allow
    // any def registers to be changed. Also assume all registers
    // defined in a call must not be changed (ABI). Inline assembly may
    // reference either system calls or the register directly. Skip it until we
    // can tell user specified registers from compiler-specified.
    if (MI.isCall() || MI.hasExtraDefRegAllocReq() || TII->isPredicated(MI) ||
        MI.isInlineAsm()) {
      DEBUG(if (State->GetGroup(Reg) != 0) dbgs() << "->g0(alloc-req)");
      State->UnionGroups(Reg, 0);
    }

- Matthias