[llvm-dev] Lowering llvm.memset for ARM target

Evgeny Astigeevich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 25 08:22:53 PDT 2017

Hi Bharathi,

I did some debugging, the current problem is that the same threshold values are used for SIMD and non-SIMD memory instructions.
For the test you provided, when the SIMD extension is disabled the current implementation of llvm.memset lowering finds out 9 store instructions will be required. As 9 > 8 llvm.memset is lowered to a call.
When the SIMD is enabled, it finds out 3 stores (two vst1.32 + one str) will be enough. As 3 < 8 llvm.memset is lowered to a sequence of stores.

So before changing the threshold values we need to figure out:

1. Do we need separate thresholds for SIMD and non-SIMD memory instructions? For example, 8 for SIMD and 10-16 for non-SIMD. Some benchmarking is needed to find proper value.
2. If we keep the single value, how much it should be increased? This might affect performance of SIMD using applications. So benchmarking again.
3. If STRD are used then only 5 instructions are needed and llvm.memset is lowered as expected. I don’t know why the variant with STRD is not considered, maybe to avoid register pressure.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Evgeny Astigeevich