[llvm-dev] IR Pass Ordering Sensitivity

serge guelton via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 15 12:12:28 PDT 2017

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 10:58:17PM -0500, Kavon Farvardin via llvm-dev wrote:
> > something simpler will do, IMHO. Happy to discuss this further if
> > folks are in California next week :)
>
> Yes, I'll be in California next week, let's chat!
>
> We could make use of the autotuner I'm currently building:
>
> https://github.com/kavon/autotune
>
> It tries to find an optimal sequence of IR passes, and I've run into a bunch of different bugs with it so far (e.g., it seems structurizecfg interacts poorly with 'invoke'). I'll start submitting bug reports for them soon.

As part of the stress-suite of the LLVM obfuscator we're going to
present next Thursday, we ran into similar problems. Well, when you
s/optimization/obfuscation/ many things go wrong anyway.

I'm quite interested in the pass scheduling problem, because interaction
between optimization and obfuscation are complex, let's chat!