[llvm-dev] [RFC] Polly Status and Integration

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 14 16:57:09 PDT 2017

On 10/14/2017 05:28 PM, Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Michael Kruse <llvmdev at meinersbur.de
> <mailto:llvmdev at meinersbur.de>> wrote:

>     <mailto:dberlin at dberlin.org>>:
>     > FWIW: We hit a subset of this issue with MemorySSA (which
>     subclasses value
>     > for the MemoryAccess's, etc), and it was discussed as well during
>     > PredicateInfo.
>     >
>     > NewGVN has a variant the same issue as well, where it actually
>     creates
>     > unattached (IE not in a basic block) new instructions just so it
>     can analyze
>     > them.
>     >
>     > IMHO, some nice way to make virtual forms over the instructions
>     that didn't
>     > require reimplementing the tons of existing functionality that
>     works with
>     > Value would be much appreciated.
>     >
>     > But maybe the right answer at some point is to just sit down and
>     build out
>     > such an infrastructure. It certainly sounds like there are
>     enough clients.
>
>     What would be different in such an infrastructure? IMHO the
>     llvm::Value hierarchy is already relatively thin,
>

> I think most people would disagree with "Relatively thin".
> Given there have also been multiple threads in the past year with most
> people not wanting non-actual-IR to derive from Value, i think you may
> be in the minority here.

I think the way that we generally look at this is: Our IR data types
(Value, User, Instruction, Constant, and so on) are the most efficient
representation we have of the IR. There are a lot of capabilities that
come along with that hierarchy (use lists, value handles, metadata,
names). Value has a non-inline destructor to deal with all of these
capabilities, as does Instruction. Each individual instance of these
types allocate memory. The question is then: For any particular use
case, do you need those capabilities/properties? If not, is there a more
succinct representation that can be used efficiently?

  -Hal

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility
Argonne National Laboratory