[llvm-dev] Beginner Bugs - Need help tagging

Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 5 19:06:03 PDT 2017

> On Oct 5, 2017, at 6:59 PM, Davide Italiano <davide at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> Anna Zaks, David Blaikie and I have been at Grace Hopper Conference for the last couple days talking to many people about LLVM and how to get involved in the project. Its been discussed many times before at LLVM Developer Meetings and recently on the mailing list about tagging bugs with the “beginner” keyword and that keyword was recently added to the LLVM Bugzilla. However, there are very few bugs(12) actually in Bugzilla with this keyword: https://bugs.llvm.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=beginner&list_id=125621
>>
>> It would be a huge help and a benefit to the growth of the community if we could tag more bugs with this keyword. If several members of the community could tag just 5 bugs with this keyword we could easily increase the number of bugs suitable for beginners.
>>

> Many of these bugs have been touched/marked in the last 3 months, but
> none of them has been picked yet.
> I'm not sure what's the cause, and I don't belong to the marketing
> department, but my feeling is that it's not enough marking bugs with a
> beginner keyword to give them visibility. Probably a "contribute" page
> on llvm.org or mentioning them on http://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html
> (if they're not already, I was able to find only mentions to `code
> cleanups`), would help.

Yes, this is very true that we also need to advertise and give better visibility to how someone who is new can get involved. One of the things I am distributing at Grace Hopper is small postcard with links and things to do or read if you are a beginner. We truly need to put something like this on our website. If someone wants to spearhead this, that would be awesome. I always say when I get time I will start doing this on our website, but maybe someone will get to it before me.

So while yes it may not be the total solution, I do think its worthwhile to do this.

-Tanya