[llvm-dev] Change in optimisation with UB in mind

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 3 09:45:14 PDT 2017

On 10/03/2017 08:43 AM, ORiordan, Martin via llvm-dev wrote:
> Yes, the hairy-edges of undefined behaviour - UB is UB.
>
> It does mean that given:
>
>    __attribute__((noinline)) int foo(int a, int b) { return a + b; }
>
>    int bar1(int x) { return foo(x, INT_MIN); }
>    int bar2(int x) { return x + INT_MIN; }
>
> 'bar1' and 'bar2' have different outcomes.
>
> However, I think that the new optimisation is neat and valid and I am not suggesting that it should be changed, but it would be useful if a target could override this if they choose to do so.

It might appear to be useful, but I don't think that we want to do down
that road. We don't support this kind of trapping arithmetic in LLVM,
the way that we define our canonical forms depend on this, and if want
to support it, we need to enhance the IR with constructs that represent
this in a well-defined way. Having a mode in which it "kind of works
most of the time" is worse, in the long run, than just saying that it is
not supported. Right now, it is not supported. I think that our
experience has shown us that If we don't have a sound set of rules by
which we can validate transformations, then no one really knows what
they can do.

  -Hal

> 	MartinO

Hal Finkel