[llvm-dev] Should we switch to --hash-style=both by default in LLD ?

Romain GEISSLER via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 2 15:33:10 PDT 2017

> Le 3 oct. 2017 à 00:09, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> a écrit :
>
> I read through the binutils mailing list thread, but I couldn't find the exact reason why making --hash-style=gnu default except MIPS wasn't a good idea.Do you mind if I ask you to explain it again for me?
>
> Since lld is a new linker, we could make a bit more radical change than GNU ld can do, so I wonder if --hash-style=both is the right choice for us.

To be honest, I have no idea. I am much more on the user side of ld.bfd/ld.gold than the developer side. I know very little about the exact specific ELF ABI Michael Matz is referring to. I actually would expect you lld developers to have quite an good knowledge of it ;)

On my side, I do configure and/or patch all my linkers (bfd, gold and lld) to use the "gnu" hash-style by default, and I can only say that with a classical glibc environment, it works. The fact that some Linux distro are doing that too seems to be a good arguments that it is safe, at least when using glibc. The question is more whether lld seeks (size) optimization over correctness (wrt the ELF specification) ?

Cheers,
Romain